Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Good Book

I have started reading a book called, First They Killed My Father. The author is Loung Ung.

I really, really encourage you to check it out. It isn't very long. But it tells the story of the very recent Khmer Rouge invasion. This country lost half of its population. Every single one of my students lost someone or know of someone who died during this time. Some of the people I know here are fatherless because their fathers were tortured by Pol Pot less than 10 years ago.

It is interesting to read because the author talks about going to places in Phnom Penh that I go to now. Her description of daily life in Cambodia is accurate to what I see outside my window.

So pick it up if you get a chance!

1 comments:

ashley said...

I ordered it on Amazon yesterday after reading this post, thanks for the suggestion :)