Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I Have a Dream too

As Martin Luther King Jr. inspires us to use powerful, provocative words to fight battles and win freedom, I do the same, in another way.

"I have a dream that one day women will rise up and live out the true meaning of our creed, “We hold these truths to be self-evident that all women are created equal.”

I have a dream that one day in Beverly Hills the daughters of former celebrities and the daughters of former plastic surgeons will be able to sit down at the table of sisterhood.

I have a dream that women will not be judged by the measurements of their waist, but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that women will not be estimated by the amount left on their cafe minimum, the size of their jeans, or the number on the scale, but by their compassion, patience, love, and joy they bring to those around them.

I have a dream that one day the magazines writers, movie makers, and fashion designers of our country will join hands with little girls and build an industry that accurately portrays women to their young, innocent eyes.

I have a dream that girls will believe they are beautiful and perfect without dieting or a stitch of make-up, because, they are.

I have a dream that women will start a radical revolution and stop hating their bodies and themselves.

This is our hope. This is the faith we go to bed with at night. With this faith we can change a culture that tells us we are never beautiful enough, thin enough, or perfect enough. With this faith we can be who we truly are and love every part of it.

Let freedom ring from Cosmo magazine.

Let freedom ring from Pro-Ana websites.

Let freedom ring from middle school playgrounds, junior high locker rooms, and college campuses.

Let freedom ring from breast enhancement surgery tables.

Let freedom ring from dieting centers, make-up counters, and the Playboy mansion.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, we will be able to speed up the day when all women; gray-haired or wrinkled, large or small, models or model citizens, will be able to join hands and say, “Free at last, free at last. I’ve been beautiful all along, now I’m free at last.” "

0 comments: