Thursday, April 16, 2009

There are few things better than...

There are few things better than my Ultimate frisbee class. No, it's not like Ultimate "tossing-a-frisbee-back-and-forth-with-your-uncle-at-the-park". It's actually a sport and it's a darn good time. With 60 degree weather, some energetic college students, and a big, grassy, open field, there is fun to be had. It was intense and competitive, I'd like to think I well represented womankind being the only female, and worked up a good sweat. Vitamin D and I get along well. Ahhh.

There are few things better than helping a friend and knowing they appreciated it. I came upon a frazzled and overwhelmed friend of mine, Dan, who had called me earlier in the day to ask where to find sources in the library for a huge paper due tomorrow. Now this 15-page term paper was assigned the first day of class, over 3 months ago. The expectations were clear. In all honesty, it is painfully difficult for me to help chronic procrastinators who didn't get started when they should have. But seeing the dark circles under his eyes and tired exterior, I said, "Hey, I think I can help you out." I showed him where to get started on one big project due tomorrow, taking him to the reference section and showed him several books to use. Then, I helped him on several worksheets due tomorrow. Seeing the relief and hope on his face was all worth it, which leads me to believe that there really no "completely" unselfish deeds, because frankly, his face was all the reward I wanted.

There are few things better than getting random, wonderful, text messages and words of encouragement from my best friend Rachael. She really is one of the most beautiful people I've ever met, which is why I claim her as mine. Witty and wise, gorgeous, genius, silly and sporty, ahhh Rachael. Today she text, "You're beautiful inside and out," just because she could, just because she is great like that.

There are few things better than sweet potatoes. No really, so good, little brown sugar. Yuummmy.

There are few things better than calling Jeremy, my boyfriend, and feeling instantly filled, enough, taken care of, heard, understood, delighted in, and cared for. I really like this guy, the long-distance thing? not so much. Sometimes I call him just to complain about seeing happy couples, prancing across campus, holding hands. I didn't realize how badly I wanted that until I started dating Jeremy and realized what this whole dating thing is about, and to be honest, it's blowing my mind. I am amazed at how much I like one single person and would do almost anything for him. We'll work together at camp this summer, something I'm very much looking forward to. Yaiy! Can't wait.

There are few things better than looking someone in the eyes and realizing, "I get you." Today welcoming back the IRR (international rescue and relief) team from Honduras where they've been the last 3 months, I was able to re-live some of their experiences. It wasn't as though any of my good friends went, but I wanted to be available and excited right along with them, because I know what it feels like to come back and feel like no one really cares. I listened, I smiled, I asked questions, they talked and talked and talked. They are these tan, bright-eyed, vessels just bursting with stories and experiences to share, but they walk onto a campus of overwhelmed, tired, disinterested, students who have never been out of the country and aren't entirely interested in hearing about it. I hope they felt understood.

There are few things better than recovery. Not as though every stage of it has been wonderful and anything to look gush about, but it's been more than a week since I even thought about throwing up, well, that is, until now, cause I just did. But I've been doing really well. Day-by-day, blog-by-blog, feeling stronger, more balanced and less frantic, more whole and less scattered.

There are few things better than being physically worn out and achy from a good time. It is much too frequently that I am tired, exhuasted, and grumpy from loads of homework, or overwhelmed with deadlines. I can thoroughly wear myself out running on a treadmill for an hour, but it's different when I've gotten to play hard or work hard to earn that work out. It is a beautiful thing to wake up sore and slightly achy from the exhuastion of a life well-lived.

There are few things better than feeling the strength, energy, and joy, that enables me to write a blog like this. Because tomorrow or 6 months from now, when I'm somewhere else, feeling something else, I will read my words, and remember

yes, there is healing,

yes, there is joy,

and yes, there is ALWAYS hope.

2 comments:

caitlyn brianne said...

i loved your blog today! ultimate frisbee was one of ivan and i's favorite things to do. thankyou for writing and lifting my spirits. have a great weekend Heather :)

Anonymous said...

oh heather. you don't know me but your speaking to my heart. continue. you are lighty and brighty!