Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Rainbows

It's going to be all right.

I just know it is.

Why am I so sure?

Because everything always turns out all right.

Now I'm only speaking for myself. That doesn't mean that life is peachy and always hands out rainbows and cupcakes, but when I look at my own situations:
when he died and we thought we'd never be able to cope we did
when that teacher or that test threatened by sanity, I passed or at least finished the class
when that girl hurt me so badly, I wanted to scream, well, she has no power over me now
when that boy took my heart and stomped on it, I kept breathing
when that car hit me in traffic, all worked out in the end
when that awkward conversation felt like it would never end, it did
when that eating disorder threatened to end my life, it didn't

"You are stronger than you think," hangs in my room as a regular reminder.

You may find it to be true that . . .
when that (pick your struggle):
surgery
conflict
injury
emotion
relationship
addiction
pain

threatened your (pick your victim):
life
sanity
patience
kindness
ability
faith

and you swore you just couldn't take it any more: you did.

And you will. And we do.

We take one deep breath.
And then another.
And then another.
And then another.
Until we realize that no, this will not be the end of us.
And it never will be.

This gives me hope that in overwhelming situations where I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, or the silver lining, there is one. Why? Because there always is.

This too shall pass.


Take heart.
You are stronger than you think.

2 comments:

Carley Brown said...

haven't read your blog in awhile... its always a pleasure though. Just wanted to let you know i stopped by. Thanks for real, encouraging words

Emily Star said...

Oh my goodness. This line means so much! We are stronger than we think. Thank-you. Love Emily