Sunday, May 15, 2011

Junk Drawer

I read this blog called 1000 Awesome Things.

I can't remember when, how, or why I stumbled upon it, but these days we find blogs, YouTube videos, and news articles like we used to find a precious rock, an over sized safety pin, or those old sunglasses in our junk drawers. We find. We spread. And hopefully, we become better.

I've enjoyed getting fun, regular reminders of things in life that are awesome. Neil Pasricha blogs about simple pleasures like finding an Easter egg way after Easter, arriving at your destination just as your favorite song ends on the radio, or getting the eyelash out of your eye.

On a recent blog, Neil cited a e-mail from someone that saw his TED talk. TED Talk? Neil, you didn't tell me you had a TED Talk? Well, he does. Check it out. (If you haven't seen a TED Talk, you are way behind. So far, I can't even express. You better catch up. Right here. Right now.)



I like his idea. So simple. Yet, so profound: attitude, awareness, authenticity.

For some reason, I've been thinking a lot about the 100 year time slot he was talking about. Maybe it's because I could hardly believe, upon hearing about Osama Bin Laden, that it has been ten years since 9/11. Most of today's 15 year-olds don't really get what all the hubbub is about. It's just something they've heard of. Something in the past. Probably much like I read history books and see myself as separate from the people and events in them: "that was then, this is now" forgetting we are one. One planet. One people.

Even life 100 years ago in the 1900s was drastically different than it is now. The Industrial Revolution changed the world. Women gained rights. The invention of the phone. The television. We launched into space. We fought for civil rights. The invention of the the internet. (Don't critique my time-line. I'm no historian)

We hit the treadmill running and just go with it, living inside our own heads thinking that it's really, "All about me." We have a limited perspective. A miniscule role in our huge history and most-likely insurmountable future.

I'm almost 23. Nearly a quarter of my life is over. I'll be lucky to be granted 75 more years. Life is short and fragile and fleeting. And yet I get stuck in moments where I feel like I have forever. I have time. I'll accept myself later, ya know, once I've accomplished what I want to. Once I've graduated. Once I've gotten married. Once I've found a career I enjoy. Once I've mattered.

Is this really all it's about? It makes me kind of depressed to think about just settling down, and finding a job, using the money to pay off student loans, pay off the mortgage, and pay off credit card debt. Do I really want to spend the rest of my life paying for college, a house, and some lousy material possessions?

I'm not sold.

So now what?

1 comments:

Carley Brown said...

I'm not sold either.

But I'm not sure what a good alternative is.