Sunday, May 15, 2011

Whole

If you are a woman (or know any) you'll want to watch this.

"Ninety-seven percent of women, surveyed by Glamour magazine, have at least one 'I hate my body' moment daily. And on average, women have thirteen negative body thoughts daily."


Are you reading this? Are you hearing this?

This is your beautiful mom.
Your freckled and sun-kissed sister.
Your curvy girlfriend.
Your gorgeous wife.
Your perfect daughter.
That drop-dead gorgeous woman walking down the street.
That thin celebrity.
That busty movie star.
And apparently, now, that three year-old little girl.


The tips they offer to combat this are:

-Ask yourself, "Is this really about my body?" because it might be about insecurities in a certain situation with certain people.

-Exercise. Not because losing weight or gaining muscle leads to a happy life, but to feel more control and confidence.

-Say "Stop" out loud to stop self-critical statements. Seriously, look yourself in the eyes. Then, look behind your eyes to "see who is seeing" and say, "STOP!" Take a deep breath. Move on.

-Remind yourself that obsessing over your body won't change your body. There is absolutely no correlation between verbally abusing yourself to shreds and changing your body.

-Play up your strengths. Like your eyes? Focus on your eyes. Like your shoulders? Wear a tank.


I'm proud that my wonderful boyfriend, Jeremy, sends me videos like this. I'm pretty darn blessed to have him. We started our relationship from rock bottom: fully aware of each others "dirt", our addictions, and our struggles. No surprises. We're just two human beings trying to figure this out and I wouldn't have it any other way. He supports me in this fight. He reminds me often that I am exactly who I need to be.
No bigger. No smaller.
No more. No less.

It means so much to be in a relationship with Jeremy, as well as in a community of friends, that supports me and holds me accountable to growth and healing.

After all, the goal is not to be perfect. The goal is to be whole.

0 comments: