Saturday, August 13, 2011

Banana-Nut Muffin

"You know how there are people who when they realize that vulnerability and tenderness are important, that they kinda surrender and walk into it? A: that's not me. B: I don't even hang out with people like that. For me, it was a year long street fight. It was a slug fest. Vulnerability pushed. I pushed back. I lost the fight, but probably won my life back."

Yup, I'm posting this again. It's that good.



"This is what I learned: we numb vulnerability. . . We are the most in debt, obese, addicted, and medicated adult cohort in U.S. history. . . You can't selectively numb emotion. Here's the bad stuff. I don't want to feel these. I'm going to have a couple beers and a banana nut muffin. . . When we numb those, we numb joy, and gratitude, and happiness. Then we are miserable.

"To let ourselves be seen, deeply seen, vulnerably seen. To love with our whole hearts, even though there's no guarantee. To practice gratitude and joy in those moments of terror when we wonder "Can I love you this much? Can I be this fierce about this?" To feel this vulnerable means I am alive. The last, is to believe, 'I am enough.' We stop screaming and start listening. We're kinder and gentler to the people around us and we're kinder and gentler to ourselves."

I appreciate people who are having these conversations about the absolute necessity of vulnerability in our lives. Because I believe it. I feel it. I want to live it.

0 comments: