Saturday, August 6, 2011

Nine Weeks

I have officially re-entered civilization and it feels good.

After 9 weeks of camp, I'm happy to be sleeping in my own bed, spending time with good friends, having access to phones and internet, and having more time to myself. Ahhh.

Camp this summer was splendid.

I became a lifeguard.
I was the pool director.
I was not a counselor (wahoo!).
I met wonderful people and made good friends.
I went to my friend Rachael's wedding in California.
I went caving.
I spoke at Hope Camp Meeting in British Columbia, Canada.
I remembered that I am a fun person.

From the blind campers, I was reminded to have a better attitude. My life looks pretty rosy compared to some of theirs. I need to live like it.

From the junior campers, I was reminded that being a good mentor is simple: take time. Engage. Smile. Welcome. Play.

From the tween campers, I was reminded of myself as an awkward twelve year-old and more grateful for my twenty-three year-old self. She may be "older" but she's wiser. Stronger.

From the family campers, I was reminded that if I ever become a mother, I will be a freaking fun, adventurous, spontaneous one. Age is a matter of mind over matter. If you don't mind. It doesn't matter.

From the teen campers, I was reminded that love, pain, peace, and joy are relative. There is not one version. We all experience life differently and my version of love or pain is not dominate to someone elses. We all have different perspectives. And that's okay.

Camp reminds me how incredibly durable I am.

I am one tough cookie.

The academic year proves to me that I am studious and responsible and efficient and a good time-manager. I get things done well and on-time. I feel mentally and emotionally drained, but when my head hits the pillow there are at least 24 stray worries flying around like disrupted flies. Peace comes slowly. If not until the weekend.

The summer time at camp reminds me that I am strong and capable. I can run on little sleep, be cheery (even when I don't feel like it), endure 6 hours of hot and humid sunshine, keep kids from drowning each other, eat food I enjoy, run to play Darebase, go to campfire sweaty and smelly, shower, and land in bed. When my head hits the pillow I fall asleep quickly, fully exhausted from a physically demanding but emotionally rewarding day.

0 comments: