Friday, September 2, 2011

Bits

Black socks and Birkenstocks. That is a trend I did not see coming.

Oh, and the newly-renovated fanny pack, these Northface Brand roo bags. They're everywhere.



Ken makes me laugh. He's kinda silly. We both listen to NPR (specifically, On Being). We read similar books and articles. Apparently, we both play Ultimate Frisbee. Yesterday he said, "Ms. B, the more I learn about you, the more I like you."

Scott relates well with students. And strangely, reminds me a lot of my brother.

Two days ago, I didn't want to be at school. Helga took over and told me everything I was doing wrong. I didn't want to spend my weekend driving. I didn't know how I was going to get packed and ready for the trip in time. Too many lesson plans. Too many requirements. Too many papers to grade. Too many feelings to feel. Too much to accomplish before Friday.

But then...I did.

You'd think I'd learn what parents have been telling their anxious children for years, "This too shall pass," but I don't. I struggle to remember. I forget. I fear. I worry. And then it all turns out okay and instead of recognizing the peace, I fret over the past stresses.

Jeremy and I are driving home for a wedding.

Four days ago I was asked to sing a song for this wedding. In Spanish.
I don't speak Spanish.
Sorry, Senora Haid.

The division chair of the English department said, "I believe in a well-placed curse word. Especially in the first week of school."

My pop culture class is fun. They smile. We talk. They share ideas. Sometimes we agree. Sometimes we disagree. On the first day of class J made a comment to a friend about one baseball team "raping" another. I wanted to scream and yell and strangle him. But it was the first day and I said nothing. I'm excited for our upcoming unit on gender issues when we will discuss the infinite imbalances, our language, history, the media. Oh, J. He doesn't know what's coming.

It's been three years since I taught in Cambodia.
I think I'm doing okay.

Scratch that.
I'm doing great.

Damnit.




2 comments:

Briana said...

Good for you Heather!! See, everything turned out to be bearable didn't it? This post gives me encouragement. I'm glad you're liking teaching - isn't life funny?

Emily Star said...

damn right heather! :)