Sunday, June 17, 2012

For Now

 This summer, Jeremy and I are working at Camp Mivoden. It's a new place for us and we're figuring things out slowly. Welcome to our world and our home for the next three months.


This is the waterfront area. There are picnic tables, shade, a sandy beach, a volleyball court, and the dock. 

 This is looking out at the lovely Hayden Lake. 
  
 This is the cafeteria with big windows that overlooks the lake.
 
 This is the indoor pool which has sliding glass doors that open out onto the lake.
 This is my office.
You'd be so much more impressed with the inside of my office (a.k.a. janitor's closet), if you could've seen it before I whipped it into shape. It was a mess. Now, it's liveable. This is where I'll be doing all the ACA (American Camping Association) accrediting work for the camp. 
 
These are the dorms. They stand in a line four stories tall.




                You have to up these crazy, winding stairs to get to the fourth floor where we live.
           This is the top floor and from here you can see across to the top level of the other cabins.
                              This is our view out our front door. Not much to complain about.
                                                               This is our room.


It's strange being married at camp. It feels like we're just pretending, like we're just playing house. We've navigated who makes the bed and where to put our toothbrushes. But suddenly, I feel like we are seen differently. We're the married couple. And I don't blame anyone. I can't say that I've ever reached out to the married people I've worked with at camp. I think I just assumed that they wouldn't be interested in the silly things us single people did. But now, we are those people. It's like because we've been married for...oh...a month, we are now the resident experts on marriage. Nuh uh.

Today we get our first batch of campers: energetic, stoked 8-10 year olds. We've cleaned the camp, checked our areas for safety, verified teaching skills, prepared the menu, mowed the lawns, moved this and re-arranged that. Whew. I'm hoping that with the introduction of "regular" weeks of camp, life will gain some normalcy and we'll feel like we can catch our breath.

Many people ask us, "Where will you go after camp?" I wish I had an answer to that question. When I told a co-worker this, she said, "Oh no, don't wish for that. My husband and I often wish we could just up and go like we used to, but we're a bit tied down by kids and a mortgage. Don't wish for a plan. Enjoy the unknown."

For now, we are young and newly married.

For now, we are working at summer camp.
For now, much is unknown and that's okay.
We can either be traumatized by it or we can embrace the thrill.
For now, this is home.








0 comments: