Friday, July 20, 2012

Testimony


Last night, while we were sitting around a campfire chatting under the thunderous sky, a sixteen year-old volunteer here at camp asked me, "How do you get a testimony?"

"How do you get a testimony? I'm not sure I know what you mean?"

He pondered, "Well, ya know, how do you know if you have one? I don't think I have a good story worth telling."

"Well," I told him. "When people talk about a 'testimony' they're usually referring to a time in their lives when they had a struggle and then they overcame that struggle. But maybe testimonies don't always have to be about awful, traumatic things, it could just be a story of growth or change or lessons learned."

He didn't seem particularly convinced. So I told him that the story I tell now (that some may call my "testimony"), took place at the end of high school and into college. That maybe our great life-changing stories grow best after some time and age. He nodded his head.

"Or," I added jokingly, "maybe you should just start using drugs or get thrown in jail and then you'll have a story to tell."

We all have a story to tell. 













1 comments:

Kylie said...

I remember always feeling inferior during high school because I didn't have any grand testimony, as I understood it. Similar questions of "how do I get one," and "what am I doing wrong," liked to creep into my mind, leaving me unsettled with the story I was living. Thankfully, in my growing up and finding community, I am learning that this silly idea of a testimony is only a fancy title for our story. Each of our stories are valuable and beautiful and unique, and we must never be afraid that they are not spiritual or philosophical enough in comparison to others. Our story is ours alone, and this is always enough.

Thanks for sharing your story and for becoming such a valuable piece of my own.