Monday, September 17, 2012

Seizing

In eighth grade, I was given a Canon Power shot digital camera for graduation. Nothing fancy nowadays. But digital and mine. Ever since then, I've taken pictures, uploaded them to my computer and put them in folders labeled by time and location. There is the "High school" folder, the "College" folder, the "Cambodia" folder, and the "Summers" folders. And within those folders specific events and times. Every picture has it's place. Until recently.

Now, all of our pictures go into the "Post-College" and "Post-Camp" folder. This says a lot about my life right now. For the first time in my life, I don't know what to call this folder.

I have a college degree.
But no job.
I am recently married.
But unsure of what to do next.
I'm living with my parents.
This is not how I thought this would go. 

I wonder how many twenty-somethings can relate to 3 or 4 of those sentiments. I hope the number is high. Because feeling like we're here all alone feels awful and somehow, knowing we're not the only ones would bring a lot of comfort.

In my on-line job-searching frenzy, I found this website called The Ultimate Life After College Survival Guide. Their advice: Seize the day! Apparently, this is the best time in my life to travel and live large with responsibility. Oy, I wish seizing the day wasn't so expensive.

Another post reads: 
"There is very little in life more discouraging than spending thousands and thousands of dollars on an education only to find no one willing to give you a job and a chance."

This is totally where we're at, thinking, what was the point? Obviously, a degree is no guarantee (and it helps if you're actually passionate about your degree. Dangit.), but I never thought that at 24 years-old I'd be applying to coffee shops and nannying jobs (oh, and egg donation is not off the list of possibilities). Just about every Craigslist scam has me thinking, "Hmm...maybe..."

Apparently, the best advice via Collegeaftermath.com is:

"Enjoy this insecure, adrift, wandering phase of your life. Because with all certainty, it won’t last. Someday you will have a job, you will be settled, and you will – absolutely – reminisce about the days when all you had to do was wake up and explore the possibilities of where your life will go. Looking for a job, though challenging and daunting, is the equivalent of standing at a cross-roads and choosing which way to go. Entertain your craziest ambitions and remember that the choices you make now will affect the rest of your life. And if nothing else, enjoy the fact that you can sleep in, eat breakfast by the computer, and spend the day wallowing in your life and the direction you want to take it."

Someday, I will have a job.
Someday, I will be settled.
Someday, I will look back and miss this.












3 comments:

Bryan H said...

If you would consider government, they just started a thing for recent graduates...I don't know anything about it!

https://www.usajobs.gov/StudentsAndGrads

Job hunting is discouraging, because you can hear "no" a dozen times before hearing a yes...but you just need one yes!

Bryan H said...

https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Jobs_By_College_Major#icc

Just a springboard for ideas, maybe...

Heather said...

Wow, thanks, Bryan. I'll look into those.