Wednesday, September 5, 2012

When Love Arrives




My favorites lines:

"Love stayed away for years and when love finally reappeared, I barely recognized him. Love smelled different now. Darker eyes...But we found a park bench that fits us perfectly...Love looks great in lingerie, but still likes to wear her retainer...Love is messier now, not as simple...Love chews too loud...Love leaves the cap off the toothpaste...Love will tell you you are beautiful over and over again...But love is not perfect and will sometimes forget when you need to hear it most...Do not forget this. Love is not who you were expecting. Love is not what you can predict...Love arrives exactly when love is supposed to."

Mmmm, mmmm, mmm. So much truth is these words: "Love is not who you were expecting."

Surely not.


I used to think that I wanted a guy who played guitar and wrote me sweet melodies that would lull me to sleep.

I used to think that I wanted a guy who was tall, had dark hair, and a days-worth of scruff that made him look just enough GQ and just enough fairytale.

I used to think that I wanted a guy who would cook me breakfast, surprise me with fun dates, and vote for the same political party as me.

I used to think that we would have the same hobbies. Mine. Of course.

I used to think he would speak in perpetual poetry. The right words at the right time. Always.

But, "love is not who you were expecting."


He plays djimbe.

He's got the dark hair and the scruff. So much scruff it fills the bathroom trashcan.

He has made me breakfast and surprised me with fun dates, but our political views may always be a bit different.

He has different hobbies too. But really, he should enjoy Zumba and DIY projects with popsicle sticks.

He often says the wrong things at the wrong time.

But, he's everything I didn't know I needed.


And love has arrived.

And I'm glad it has come.







2 comments:

EMILY STAR said...

Thank-you for sharing that poem! I love it!

Bryan H said...

woah...awesome