Friday, November 16, 2012

Safe Seat

Today, I put myself in the Safe Seat.

It's like a traditional time-out that is part of the district-wide behavior management program at our school called BIST. When a student is misbehaving or refusing to do work, they are asked to sit at the designated chair and desk called the Safe Seat. It is here that they take time to rate their feelings, pinpoint what they were doing wrong, and problem-solve through what they could do better next time.

Today, I needed it.
A time-out.
A cool-down.
A moment.

Because today, Trenton ran away from me giggling then wouldn't stop crying when I offered him every possible snack he could want, Devon had a meltdown in the hallway, Bradley stubbornly sat under his desk, and Nathan threw two chairs at me. So that was it. If I didn't take a moment, I was going to yell at someone.

I found a deserted Safe Seat in the library. The poster on the wall reads:

"How are you feeling?
1-Excellent
2-Fine
3-Okay
4-Unhappy
5-Angry

I can be productive and follow directions even if I am mad.
I can be productive and follow directions even if others are not.
I can be productive and follow directions even if I don't want to."

Using the strategies before me, I designated that I was at about a four and-a-half on the feelings scale, I was taking Nathan's chair throwing personally, and I felt unsupported at my job.

So, I decided that...

I can do my job even if I am frustrated.
I can do my job even if I feel unsupported.
I can do my job even if I don't feel confident.
I can do my job even if I feel disliked.
I can do my job even if I struggle at adjusting to change.
I can do my job even if I feel uninformed and not included.
I can do my job even if I feel undervalued.

Because at the end of the day, I'm earning a paycheck.
And getting holidays off.
And sometimes the kiddos make me laugh.
And it's all very temporary.

I can do this even when it's hard.





0 comments: