Tuesday, January 1, 2013

A Letter for a New Year

Dear Child,

Good morning. Today is the first day of this New Year. Two-thousand thirteen is a big number. It carries with it grandeur and history and responsibility. Not everyone has lived to see this day. And you have. And you're asking why. I know you're feeling small. I know you're searching for peace. Much feels unsettled. Rest in the knowledge that you are not alone and it's going to be all right.

Two-thousand and twelve brought a lot of changes into your life:
-you graduated from college
-for the first time ever, you are not a student
-you got engaged
-you planned a wedding
-you traveled around the country and shared your story and your book
-you got married
-you honeymooned
-your grandfather died
-you moved to Idaho
-you moved to Nebraska
-you got a job and an apartment
-now all the bills are yours
-you're figuring out marriage and adulthood and life

That's a lot, girl. It's okay to feel overwhelmed. Insecure. Unsure. But I don't think it's crazy to feel optimistic either. It's not outlandish for you to look forward and feel hopeful. Truth be told, the odds are better that the future will be bright. Trust me.

Do you remember being eight? Twelve? Seventeen? I do. The world looked different then: more predictable, less scary. You didn't worry quite as much. You didn't think so hard.  After all, it was a brave, nineteen year-old girl who journeyed around the world in search of meaning and lived to tell about it. That's not small. That's huge. That's bravery. And I know that lately you haven't felt brave. And now--at twenty-five--you're buried in lists and expectations and fears. You're trying to imagine how this ever felt safe or good. But please believe me when I say, that at one time you did. And in time, you will again.

I wish for you boldness.
I wish for you optimism.
I wish for you the strength to say, "I am letting go of what was and moving forward into what is."

I wish for you all the peace and joy this year may bring.

With love,
Truth







0 comments: