Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Nine Month Anniversary

Married life has become our new norm...

In making money decisions.
In paying bills.
In sleeping arrangements.
In talking about the future.
In compromising.
In making food for two.
In splitting up chores.
In calling to let him know I'll be late.
In thinking about someone else as much as I think about myself.

...so it seems downright crazy that it's only been nine months.

But I suppose, we've been friends for several years now, getting married just seemed like the next, most natural step. And we took it. And I'm glad.

I often think about how dramatically my picture of marriage has changed since I was ten years-old or sixteen years-old or even eighteen years-old. How much I didn't know. How much I couldn't have expected.

For example, I guarantee you, I didn't think marriage would be this fun. I thought it was all seriousness once you got "old" and married. Not true.

I guarantee you, I didn't think marriage would be this much work. I thought it was easier and simpler. Not true.

I guarantee you, I didn't think marriage involved as much compromise over what type of yogurt we'd buy, what music we'd listen to, how we'd wash the dishes, how we'd fold socks, when we'd fill up the gas tank, and how we'd spend our money.

I guarantee you, I didn't think marriage would make me realize how very poor we are (in the money category only).

I guarantee you, I didn't realize how completely happy and yet amazingly challenged I would be.
Or how I'd miss him when he's gone.
Or how I'd be so excited to see him at the end of the day.

Years from now, this 9-monther may seem insignificant.
But for today, this is all I know.
And for today, that's enough.


0 comments: