Monday, June 17, 2013

Another Adventure

For the last year or so, I have blogged month-by-month about marriage: what we're learning and how we're growing. It made sense to write every month as another anniversary because it was the first year, but I suppose it might seem like overkill to do so for the rest of our lives. So instead of writing in lieu of any kind of anniversary on the thirteenth of every month, I think it will just write something about marriage. 

Because what I've learned from academia, spirituality, fitness, and nearly every other area of my life is about the same: if I do not actively make it a priority, it will not be a priority. And being that my marriage is 1,000xs more important than my work-out routine, I think a monthly check-in would be good.

Photo by Chris Johnson

For our one-year anniversary, we splurged a teeny bit to celebrate. First of all, we went out to eat at our favorite Indian restaurant The Oven. Then, we drove out to Prairie Creek B&B where we got married a year ago. It was surreal to drive back in that driveway, to see the barn, and to spend time in the place where we exchanged vows 365 days before. 

I started us a simple little scrapbook in which--if nothing else--I hope to chronicle what we're learning from year to year in our marriage. We decided to answer these four questions each year:
1. What did we expect of this year?
2. What did we experience?
3. What did we learn?
4. What do we hope for in the coming year?

Answering these questions reminded us of all we've been through and also what we hope for. The latest hope we've been dreaming of is to go to South Korea for a year to teach English. We've been pursuing this goal earnestly since December. We've applied, we've gathered paperwork, we've gotten notaries and criminal background checks, we've had two interviews, and we've been accepted. We still have a few hoops to jump through on the paperwork side, but those things pending, we're hoping to be there come fall.

Photo by Rich Young

Much of this process has been a combination of two things:
1. "Yay, what an adventure! This is exciting!"
2. "Oh my freaking gosh, maybe this is a horrible idea."

These two conflicting emotions have pulled at our hearts the last few months. We'll lay in bed and predict all the cool things we'll get to do and see in Korea. Then, we'll talk about how this is a stupid idea. Crazy. Why did we think this was a good idea? Maybe we should back out. And throughout, on any given day, one of us will say to the other, "Feeling this way is probably normal. This is supposed to be scary and unpredictable. But we can do this." And the thing is, when I look across my pillow and see his face, I believe it. 

Photo by Chris Johnson
If anything, that's a surprising beautiful thing about marriage that I wouldn't have expected on the other side; that I would feel invincible, taken care of, supported in big, hairy circumstances. That there's something absolutely wonderful in knowing you don't have to go it alone. 




3 comments:

Carley Brown said...

Your life seems really beautiful. I love reading about it and learning from it.

KendraKay at havemercyblog.com said...

Love all your photos to celebrate your love and your intentional approach to it. I love to see people determined to write a good love story!

Bryan H said...

Your introspection and continual striving for peace and improvement and all that...it's inspiring. You are young but still inspiring. Thanks for writing :)
Best wishes for you in south Korea. I've heard things about the people there :)