Thursday, July 25, 2013

Ache

There is a special kind of exhaustion reserved for a summer at camp.

The kind that aches in your muscles and burns your skin.
The kind that pounds at your head and chaps your lips.
The kind that leaves you over-heated and under-hydrated.
The kind that cannot be nourished with any amount of water or ice cream.
The kind that uses you up emotionally working with 8 year-olds.
The kind that depletes you slowly with every hour in the sun.
And yet, you keep coming back for more.

I've never felt this kind of weariness any where else.
It's unique to camp.

Because you know you got the luck of the draw.
You know it's totally ridiculous that you're getting paid to dink around with kids all summer.
You know that this isn't real life.
And yet, this job totally takes it out of me.
In a really good way.

The "other" months challenge me mentally.
Summer challenges me physically.

It's at camp that I am reminded how capable my body really is.

Somewhere in between 6am Zumba sessions, teaching snorkeling and wakeboard/waterski, sand volleyball during "rest" period, and hiking up the hill to play Capture the Flag at night, it amazes me how much my body can really do. How little credit it receives for all that it does. How I often focus on all the wrong things when it comes to my body.

Sometimes I'm absolutely amazed at how this little body just keeps on truckin' with little or no recognition or "Thanks." Not even a passing thought about my beating heart or my filtering lungs or my perfectly functioning limbs.

A friend recently had heart surgery. Heart surgery. They cut him open. Sawed through his sternum and fiddled around with his heart for a few hours. Only to close him back up. Tie his chest together with wires. And call it a day.

I want to be grateful for this body before I'm forced to by default.

This body has carried me from crawling to stumbling to walking to running.
From Four-Square in 2nd grade to basketball in college.
From Colorado to Nebraska to Cambodia and home again.
From below sea level to 14,000 feet above it.
From academia to athletics.
From colds and flus to half-marathons.
From beaten-down to living-it-up.






1 comments:

Carley Brown said...

I think it's awesome you and your husband worked at summer camp! How fun! I loved going to Glacier View all the years I attended and I worked as a counselor at Camp Mivoden in Idaho and loved it!

I agree, I need to be more appreciative of my body and its abilities and stop always being so hard on myself, why are we so hard on ourselves??
Change is hard, no matter what the change, change in attitude, in thought, in habits... I definitely need to start making some changes. I'm always glad for your blog posts and admire who you are.