Friday, August 23, 2013

Pioneer

"You can either be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future." -Deepak Chopra

This morning, after hearing this, the Universe whispered to me, "Let it go. Let it go."

It's been impossible the last few days not to view Korea through the only other--and most closely familiar--lens I have in my stockpile: Cambodia.

Everything.

This heat.
The buildings.
The food.
The artistry.
The people.
The language.
My reaction.
Feeling lost.
Feeling restless.
Missing home.

Now, lets be clear Korea and Cambodia are very different places. I'm not confusing the countries. But I see this experience through the only other similar experience I've had. It doesn't usually help me. Mostly it holds me back.

From seeing with new eyes.
From giving this a chance.
From feeling confident.
From feeling joy.
From being at peace.

So today, I'm letting it go. I'm remembering that the year is 2013 and I am experiencing Korea for the first time with my best friend. And through that lens I saw...

The misty mountains that surround the university
The seaweed soup that I kinda liked
The joy of being here with Jeremy
The blessing of this opportunity to have a job
Steve, this funny and kind Canadian we met here
Cathy, a sweet local gal who teaches our Korean lessons
A place to sleep at night
Food for my tummy
Health
Support for home
The ability to take this one darn step at a time
(Which is the only option we've ever had, yet I tend to forget)

Today, I am letting go.









2 comments:

Jason M said...

With one foot in the past and one in the future, I pee on the present. :)

So cool to be reading about the experiences you guys are having! Praying that ya'll find orientation to be a positive experience today.

Ashley Barber said...

Good thoughts, sister. Each day is a new one. One step at a time.

Lovelovelovelovelove.