Saturday, September 14, 2013

What Korean Kiddos Know About America

During the last two weeks of teaching, my first order of business has been to introduce myself to my 350 or so students. I made an introduction Prezi, if you want to check it out you can click here.

In preparing my introduction, I thought...
What information is important?
What things make me who I am?
What language will they understand?
What aspects of my life will they be interested in?

I put together some pictures and each presentation usually involved a few basic points:

-I would usually start by telling them that I've been practicing my Korean and to ask if I could practice with them so that they had an opportunity to laugh at my poor Korean skills and hopefully a recognition that learning a second language just plain is not easy.

-Then, I would tell them what I've learned about Korea and then ask, "What do you know about America?" Turns out here's the top four: Barack Obama, the Statue of Liberty, the Grand Canyon, and Justin Bieber.

-I would tell them about Colorado and what makes the state popular. Great snowboarding, for one.


Below is my VERY rough drawing of the U.S. which basically highlights the most important stuff: Colorado, the Rocky Mountains, and Delaware (where Jeremy's from). I take no responsibility for their potentially warped sense of geography. The other lines were drawn when student asked where the best place is to live in America and I was explaining the weather up north is cooler and wetter, the south is dryer, and Colorado is "just right."



-Then we'd play two truths and a lie:
#1. I have one brother and one sister
#2. I was adopted.
#3. My Dad's family came from Germany. My Mom's family came from Brazil.
(FYI: I was not adopted)

-The things that made every class laugh hysterically:
"This is my older sister. But she is shorter than me." (No really, hysterically, I'm tellin' ya.)

"When Jeremy and I fight, I always win."

Me trying to say the name of Jeremy's school in Korean, "Setbyul Choodanhawkyo."


-And we'd end with them asking any question they had, the first of which ALWAYS being "How old are you?", the second ALWAYS being "Do you have any children?", and the third ALWAYS being "Why not?". That last one's the most awkward to answer.

Other questions I have been asked include:
-"What is your blood type?" I have no idea what my blood type is, but apparently in Korea, it's like asking someone their astrological sign.

-"How tall are you?" I've since learned that I am 173 centimeters tall. Which makes them go, "Ohhh." I am a pretty tall woman in Korea.

-"What's your favorite color?" Turquoise. A hard one to explain.

-"What is your favorite Korean food?" Bi bim bap. Hands down, kids.



We're all introduced. The real teaching begins. Here we go!


creative English/Korean translation on the way up the stairs

Five out of six ain't bad...



1 comments:

C.Guty said...

Glad they have a sense of humor!! Sounds like a good start :)