Sunday, October 13, 2013

Home is Wherever I'm With You

A few weeks ago, Jeremy and I walked Haeundae Beach with a Korean friend of ours named, Cathy. "How are you doing in Korea?" she asked.

"We are adjusting. It takes time," I replied. "Sometimes we miss home."

"But you are lucky," she said, "because you have each other. He is your home."


 

 Her comment was so painfully sweet and incredibly accurate, it made me think of this song: "Home is wherever I'm with you..." I've been thinking about it for awhile now.

We've been married one year and five months. And there are so many opportunities for us to bicker and nag, but still, he's the only home I've got. I think being here together reminds us of that daily. We can fight about this or we can enjoy this moment, because there's no where to run. No one else to talk to. We live in a freaking ONE room apartment. We have to come back together. Sooner is always better than later.


Here are a few things I've learned (been reminded of) in the past month:
-I have a habit of turning little things into big things

-Jeremy is wonderfully patient

-It's too easy to say, "Never go to bed angry." Sometimes, you just have to. Sometimes, you should. Sometimes you should fight until the bitter end, other times you should just let it go.

-Numbing ourselves with TV and internet also numbs us to each other. We cut back a few hours and feel much more connected. We talk more. We create more. We laugh more.

-Try as I might, his love language isn't changing any time soon. Neither is mine. We constantly have to negotiate how to love each other better. Five years of relationship and a year+ of marriage still finds us forgetting this.

-He is my home. And that's no small thing.




3 comments:

sierrabrookhatcher said...

Dear Heather, I love your writing. I love you too!! Thanks for sharing. :) xoxoxo

sierrabrookhatcher said...

I love you so much! Thank you for sharing!

KendraKay at havemercyblog.com said...

Thanks for adding the bit about numbing yourselves with TV and internet. I recently read that ANYTHING is an addiction if we use it to numb ourselves to life. I'm trying to become more thoughtful about why I'm sitting down to my laptop...do I have a purpose in mind or am I looking to check out of life? I've also been suspecting that it's hurting Brian and I. Now I'm motivated!