Thursday, January 2, 2014

Dominoes

Two-thousand fourteen.

A number I'm not quite sure what to do with.
Like an unknown organism
afraid to touch
to get too close. 
Does it bite?

Two-thousand fourteen.

A number I haven't thought about before.
Meaningless until now.
Numbers in the 2,000s still feel 
so absurd,
other-wordly.
Is this real life?

Every new year feels this way.
Like the passage of time 
still
absolutely
stuns
me.

Passage of time:
births
photographs
birthdays
holidays
graduations
weddings
travels
funerals.

This is the stuff of life.
If life had a closet, 
these things would be packed inside.

And 

the years

keep

ticking

by.


Still surprising.
Still heartbreaking.

Like dominoes.
Once started it can't be stopped.
The world belongs to someone.
It belongs to those who are standing.
My elders carried it.
Those before me.
My mentors.
Those above me.
Older and wiser than me.

But the motion has started
the people I once looked up to
are falling all around me.

The world and all it's responsibilities
move closer and closer
to me
as if I should know what to do.
as if I am ready to carry this.

But I am just a kid!
Isn't this someone else's job?







Silence.







No one's left.
And we carry on.
Because we have to.
Because no one feels prepared for this.

But we do it anyway.

Two-thousand fourteen.




0 comments: