Sunday, January 26, 2014

Stillness

The mind is such an interesting place.
The spirit is an an intriguing place.

I don't always understand, nor pretend to.



But here's what I know today (supplemented by Eckhart Tolle's Silence Speaks):



Inner stillness is good.

"When you lose touch with your inner stillness, you lose touch with yourself. When you lose touch with yourself, you lose yourself in the world."

But absolute quiet in your environment is not necessary for your insides to be still.

The mind is powerful.
We have to pay attention to the difference between the mind and the soul

"The stream of thinking has enormous momentum that can easily drag you along with it. Every thought pretends that it matters so much. It wants to draw your attention in completely. Here is a new spiritual practice for you: don't take your thoughts too seriously."

My mind is not who I am.

My mind is part of me.

And while it is powerful and often demands my attention.

I still have a choice in the matter.

My counselor used to tell me that my mind is like a river. My tendency is to catch and analyze every leaf that comes past me. Stop. Catch. Stress. Judge. Then release. But realistically, we can't do that. We have to let some things go. We have to trust that what we need to know, will be known.

"In you, as in each human being, there is a dimension of consciousness far deeper than thought. It is the very essence of who you are. We may call it presence, awareness, the unconditional consciousness. In the ancient teachings, it is the Christ within, or your Buddha nature."

The closer I am to stillness of mind and awareness of the world, the closer I am to God.


If this is all a little whoo-woo for you, consider this:
This "consciousness" or "awareness" is just
slowing down
breathing deeply
taking time to notice blessings
to be grateful
to let go
to trust in something larger.

This stillness has always been a struggle for me.
Because I want to control and manipulate and know.
But it's a losing battle.
Because life doesn't work that way.
Instead of fighting it, it's best if we let go of it.
I'm learning to let go.





This idea is important to the owners of FreedomLand (where we've been staying in Vietnam), Peter and Rita. He's Vietnamese and she's Portuguese and they met in Europe. They've slowly created--one bungalow at a time--this quiet place in the jungle where people can come and rest, enjoy good food and good people.

Yesterday, Peter said, "This place has been a journey. The first year, all kinds of whiny people showed up. Difficult to please. It was miserable. But we didn't change. We only offered what we could: a safe place, open hearts, and good food. And as time passed, the good energy we offered came back to us. Wonderful people from all over the world starting coming to us and enjoying what we had to offer. It's all about energy."


And we feel that. They've created something special here that's difficult to explain. But sitting around the long dinner table under the palm tress and twinkle lights eating yummy food with people from all over the world, it just feels right. We've sat and talked with people Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, France, Bulgaria, Japan, Russia, and England. It's like our own little U.N. every evening and it's been really great.

I'm grateful for this stop along our journey.
It's teaching me a lot.



1 comments:

Christoffer said...

I've never thought about my mind not being who I am, but being a part of me. That's a good thought, I think, thank you.