Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Chopped Liver

My husband is hot.

He's got this whole rugged "I don't care what I look like, but I just so happen to be hot"-thing going on. He's got these gorgeous blue eyes that are hard to look away from. He's strong and fit. And lately, he's been wearing scarves. Swoon.

I've always found him attractive, but Koreans find Jeremy extra-attractive.

Since we have arrived in Korea, I have lost count at how many times someone has commented about how handsome Jeremy is. It seems that he embodies some physical characteristics that make him extra appealing to Koreans. I don't know if it's the color of his eyes. His teeth. His build. His hairiness. There's just something I can't put my finger on and neither can they.

My co-teacher sees Jeremy riding his bike in winter (pants, jacket, scarf, face mask, hat--fully covered):
"He is so sexy, no?"

I show my students pictures of our recent trip to Cambodia. And every time--without fail--all ten classes give out whips of glee at this photo and say,
"Oh teacher, your husband is SO handsome!"


And unfortunately, "What am I? Chopped liver?" Probably doesn't translate well (or accurately) in Korean. So I don't even bother.


When we walk down the street in Cheongju, I watch packs of middle-school girls do double-takes when they see Jeremy. There's always a glance. A second glance. A nudge to their friend. A point. A giggle. A hastened pace. 

The other day after lunch, my co-workers were talking about plastic surgery and attractiveness and such, and again, someone commented about Jeremy. So I made the joke that in America people always told Jeremy, "You are so lucky to have such a beautiful wife." But in Korea, people always tell me, "You are so lucky to have such a beautiful husband!"

Everyone laughed. I kinda laughed.
I'm totally jealous.

This is not the first--nor will it be the last--time that something about marriage absolutely surprises me. Brings me to emotions I didn't know I had. Makes me jealous. Makes me sad. Makes me furious. And after one year and nine months of marriage, we're figuring these things out one step at a time: not gracefully, but eventually.

Jeremy thinks this is funny. And really, so do I. So he was extra pleased when I told him what Yuna said the next day at work:

"Heather, do you remember yesterday?"

"Yes."

"Yesterday, you made a joke."

"Hmm."

"A joke about people in Korea finding Jeremy more attractive than you?"

"Oh yeah, yeah."

"I was thinking about it last night. Thinking about how you feel about this. And I just wanted to say, it was a really funny joke."


I know Yuna, but it's totally true.














4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, now you know how many, many men feel all the time.

Katie said...

Except it's far less ingrained into the self-worth and core identity of men that their attractiveness is their most important quality...

Niccole Bove said...

I love your blogs, you are such a good writer.
We all know that you are a teacher, but we dont know what Jeremy does for a living over there in a dffierent world. Is he a teacher too or does he just hike (treck) and bike around on a forigen continent? lol

Heather said...

Hey Niccole, Thanks for asking: Jeremy is a teacher too. We came together through the same program that employs English teachers. He wishes he could get paid to hike though!