Wednesday, May 7, 2014

God is For People

A friend in Nebraska recently sent me this sermon. Yeah, a sermon.

A sermon that's 47 minutes long. And I kinda figured I wouldn't watch it because, well, that's 47 minutes of my life I could spend watching like 19 other YouTube videos. But I watched it anyway because I had pink eye and nothing better to do, plus, I trust this guy. And as it turns out he's worth trusting because this sermon perfectly articulated so many things I've been thinking about recently. Things related to God and faith and religion and politics and loving people well.

In wake of the whole World Vision fiasco a few weeks ago, here's what Aaron Loy of Mosaic Church had to say about how evangelicals were exposed and how the world deserves better:


One Of - 4/6/14 from Mosaic Lincoln on Vimeo.

I don't know if you'll choose to watch it. But even if you are not a church-going person, I encourage you to hit play. If only to hear a Christian talk about the same frustrations you likely have with church-going folk.

Here's my favorite part:

"God is for people.
God is for all people...
God is for Muslims.
God is for Hindus.
God is for Catholics.
God is even for Southern Baptists.
God is for Catholics.
God is for protestants.
Red state? God is for Barack Obama.
And God was and is for George W. Bush.
And God is for Richard Dawkins.
God is even for Pat Robertson. Bless his heart.
God is for Darren Aronofsky.
God is even for Kirk Cameron.
God is for the LGBT community.
And God is for Westboro Baptists.
God is for surgeons and self-mutilators.
God is for students and drop-outs.
God is for small-business owners, workaholics, large-business executives.
God is for stay-at-home Moms and God is for stay-at-home Dads.
God is for people.
And as God's people, as followers of Jesus, if God is in us, we have to be for people."

"I would suggest to you, the moment you surrendered your life into Jesus' hands, you forfeited your right to choose who is deserving of God's love and who is not."

Amen.

















0 comments: