Thursday, June 5, 2014

Lately...

  • Lately, we still live in Korea.
  • Lately, we still like Korea.
  • Lately, we are still staying two years.
  • Lately, we go to work every day teaching English to elementary school kiddos. The Korean school year actually begins in March and so there isn't really a long summer vacation like in the States. But we'll get the month of August off. Yay!
  • Lately, we've been searching for airfare to the States because we're going to come home and visit in August! If you see any airfare for two people that's cheaper that $4,000, just let us know. Oy.
  • Lately, the weather has been heating up. Like whoa. Thanks, Korea, for not using air conditioning in public schools. It's really building my character. And it's only June.
  • Lately, Korea's been having local elections. Which means that campaign season has been in full swing. I only know this because one day these people showed up on the street corners and they haven't left yet. Don't miss out on the coordinated bowing.



  • Lately, on the weekends, we play Ultimate frisbee with our friends.
  • Lately, Jeremy and I decided that 2014 would be the year we read one book a month. We are both six months in and seven books through. That feels good. 
  • Lately, I've been reading:
          -Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

          -Wildwood: Imperium by Colin Meloy

          -Dear Sugar: Advice on Love and Life by Cheryl Strayed

          -The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown

          -Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Changes the Way We Live, 
               Love, Parent and Lead by Brene Brown

          -Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton

          -The Journal of Best Practices: A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, 
               and One Man's Quest to be a Better Husband by David Finch

  • Lately, my favorite book has been Dear Sugar. It's a quirky compilation from an anonymous advice column and it made me laugh out loud at times, but also feel deeply for some of our very human struggles. 

  • Lately, I've been cooking:
          -super protein pancakes
          -super protein brownies
          -sweet and sour tofu
          -sesame noodles
          -mint and ginger lemonade
          -rosemary and earl grey cookies

  • Lately, I've been painting and it always feels so good to paint.
  • Lately, I drank some spoiled milk and it ruined my hope in all good things. That was a bad day. 
  • Lately, I've been trying to teach my co-teacher the difference between "of course" and "yes". She's doing so good. The other day, I asked her, "Do you know where Yuna is?" And she said, "Of cour... I mean...yes" with a big grin on her face. 
  • Lately, I've been sitting on a blog, too afraid to write it, too afraid to publish it, so I've been writing little else. Except lists like this. 
  • Lately, I've been thinking about language and privilege and how much easier my life has been because I speak English. Wow, what a gift! A gift some people would kill for.
  • Lately, we've been happy.







0 comments: