Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Divine In Me, The Divine In You

The Universe speaks to each of us in different ways. Personally, when several people recommend the same book or movie or website or Facebook friend to me, I take the hint. I like to think that I'm a good listener for the ways that God is trying to speak to me. If this is at all how God works, then here's a theme that's been coming up a lot of me lately:
how to balance confidence and humility, 
how to view myself and others.



And for me, it's come from three different authors.


In March of 2014, I read Glennon Doyle Melton's Carry On, Warrior. In it she writes about how to instill a sense of confidence and humility in her kids. She teaches them the same thing she tells herself on a daily basis:

"I am confident because I believe I am a child of God. 
I am humble because I believe that everyone else is, too."

Mmm, mmm, mmm...okay. I am good. We are all good.


Then, this winter, Jeremy and I have been listening to a series of teachings by Rob Bell. In one lesson, he talks about how we can be better receivers of the abundance in our lives. But also how we can be ready to give that abundance back to others. Bell said that a true balance of persective is to recognize regularly:

"I come from dust and yet, the Universe was made for me."

This is how we receive abundance. This is how we give back. Mmmmm...


And then, this month, my book is Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. In it he writes:

"Ego strengthens the separation between yourself and the other, whose 'otherness' has become magnified to such an extent that you can no longer feel a common humanity, nor the rootedness in the one Life that you share with each human being, your common divinity."



All right, all right. I get it!

We are all dirt. We are all nothing. 
Yet, we are something. And we are everything.

And at the same time, so is everyone else. 
We are all in this together.
All part of this divine body of humanity.

Wow.


Imagine how this one little thing, this notion of both confidence and humility could change the world.  Isn't this lack of humility precisely where internet trolls live? Isn't this lack of humility exactly where violence stems from? In order to be hateful or aggressive, you have to first decide that you are superior. You deserve more. You deserve better. Those "other" people are less than. Just in the way of your progress. There's no common humanity here. Only arrogance.

We need some common humanity, people.

Sing it with me.








2 comments:

emily said...

LOVE this. Let's live it and teach it to our kids.

Troy Beans said...

Heather another book: Leadership and Self-Deception Same theme less philosophy and more practical day to day. Easy to read.