Friday, February 27, 2015

Dwight Schrute and Spirituality

Ya know, Dwight Schrute, from the TV show The Office?




Well, in real life, Rainn Wilson (the actor who played him) is a real bright, creative, and introspective guy. He started a website and now a YouTube channel called SoulPancake, a place to talk about life's big questions.

And while truthfully, I haven't spent a ton of time on his site (except you should know that now Kid President is part of the SoulPancake line-up...), this is one of my favorite videos they've done:






I recently listened to a podcast interview with Rainn Wilson on Ear Biscuits.

They talked about being in the movie business, The Office, his family, and eventually, Wilson's Baha'i faith and SoulPancake project. I love Wilson's definition of spirituality:


          "Spirituality is just anything that's beyond the material. That's it. And creativity and being an artist is the main part of being spiritual. Expressing yourself and making cool shit and it's making the world awesome and being of service to people and making people laugh and uplifting their spirits and telling beautiful stories that make you remember what it is to be a human being and connecting people and building bridges and having fun along the way; like, that's spiritual. It doesn't have to go down any sentimental road or New Age road or religious road and that's the juicy stuff that we explore on Soul Pancake."




Wilson goes on to explain that spirituality is about finding community, wherever we find it:


     "People believe that religion causes much more disunity and pain in the world than it brings solace and for the most part I agree with that and it's really awful what's being done in the name of religion. It's sickening. But we have to, as a culture and as a species, not throw the baby out with the bath water because there are some spiritual truths that Muhammad brought, that Jesus brought, that the Buddha brought, that Baha'u'llah, who is the founder of the Baha'i faith, that he brought and these kind of basic truths, spiritual truths can really help heal the planet. They are a healing message of love and unity underneath all of this rancor and bullshit that you read about in the paper all the time."




I want this kind of journey.

One of "making cool shit" and "being of service" and "building bridges." And I want to have that journey regardless of what religion that leads me to. I'm quite familiar with the faith community I grew up in. I see it for its beauty and its dirt. And there's not a single religion without all of that stuff.

But I think at this time in my life, I'm far less interested in claiming a "church" or being part of a specific "religion" not because either one is bad or wrong, but because it's not the only way to find Truth.

Think how small the Universe would be to be limited to a single belief system anyway?

I'm tired of fighting.
I'm tired of arguing about whose God is right.
Or whose God is better.
I don't want to talk about creation and evolution.
Pre-marital sex.
Abortion.
Or climate change.
Oh, dear God don't make me talk about the climate change one. more. time.

I want to talk about what makes you come alive.
I want to hear about the most beautiful thing you've ever seen.
I want to create art and music and words that make a difference.
I want to build communities of people that love each other well.
Even if they don't agree.
In fact, especially if they don't agree.

And if that's not a little taste of heaven earth, I don't know what is.








2 comments:

Kylie said...

One of my favorite blogs yet! I want this, too.

Fox Beyer said...

I second the previous comment. a compelling blog.