Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Republican Jesus

This week, someone, somewhere in Internet-land posted this on Facebook:


And, I'll admit, I had a good laugh.

From my point-of-view, I know the meme is satirical and yet, I agree with it more than I disagree with it. It's probably not a huge secret which direction I lean politically.

But this blog isn't about arguing over another ridiculous Internet meme. This blog is about reminding myself what a big, fat, idiot I can be sometimes. Because the very same afternoon, only hours later, Anne Lamott spoke to me through her book Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

In joking about a woman she doesn't like:
"Not one of them writes elegant first drafts. 
All right, one of them does, but we 
do not like her very much. 
We do not think she has a rich inner life 
or that God likes her or can even stand her. 
(Although when I mentioned this 
to my priest friend Tom, he said 
you can safely assume you've created God in your 
own image when it turns out that God 
hates all the same people you do)."


Point.
Taken.

I am passionate about particular problems in the world today, like gender equality, restoration of the planet, and the elimination of poverty, and I really do believe that Jesus would be down with those things, too. But God doesn't really need me to assign a political party. To do so is missing the point. I know. I miss the point a lot.

God is on our side.

Not just Republicans.
Not just Democrats.
Not just Christians.
Not just Muslims.

Our side.

All of us.






0 comments: