Tuesday, March 24, 2015

That Kind of Day

It's the kind of day when the alarm sounds and my body is the first thing I sense. Ouch. Sore. Good work-out, body.

It's the kind of day when the sunlight splashing through the windows looks almost golden. Even at 7am. Even on a Wednesday. It's really quite stunning.

It's the kind of day when my husband--part-lumberjack, part-teddy bear--wraps me in his arms and everything feels all right.

It's the kind of day when my hair is just working. I mean, seriously. It's pretty awesome.

It's the kind of day when the baristas at my favorite java joint smile and sing in unison "anyoung haseyo" as I walk in the door and start making my drink without my even requesting it.

It's the kind of day when my students think I'm funny. Which is quite a feat of hand gestures and Konglish, let's be honest.

It's the kind of day when I'm able to separate my desires from what's happening around me. I don't have to have it my way. I don't have to have an opinion. I can just be. And it turns out I'm much happier that way.

It's the kind of day when I ask my student, "What language do they speak in Italy?" and he says, "Pizza!"

It's the kind of day when I bring cookies to my co-workers and they get a real kick out of saying the word "snickerdoodle" over and over again.

It's the kind of day when a co-worker says sadly, "Heather, I can't believe you only have five months left in Korea" and I know she means it.

It's the kind of day when I'm a good balance of productive and relaxed.


And, truthfully, most days are not like this. I don't always see the sun's "morning glow" and my kids aren't always super cute. But today--for the time being--it feels like some kind of serendipity that has landed gently on my shoulders. And instead of worrying about the day when it will wear off, I'm just going with it.


Because we don't live lives of scarcity, but abundance.

And only some of us are lucky enough to remember it.




0 comments: