Wednesday, April 29, 2015

I Don't Know and Neither Do You


I don't know                            
more than I do know.


I don't know where we all came from
and neither do you.

I don't know if this whole thing started
with evolution or creation or a combination of both.
But, try as we might, neither do you.

I don't know if there's a God
and neither do you.

I don't know if Jesus was divine
and neither do you.

I don't know what happens after we die
but as you know--neither do you.


I just don't know.
None of us do.
And that doesn't worry me too much.


Because I do know
that I came from my Momma's tummy and however that happened
is pretty spectacular!

do know
that I really want there to be a God. Because that would just be great.
So, I'm going to humbly believe that there is.

I do know
that good role models can be found in the most unlikely of places and Jesus is surely on my list.

I do know
that life is short and what we do with it matters.
So no matter what happens, when all is said and done
I can be at peace with the life I've lived.

So, I'm not going to waste my one "wild and precious life" bickering over whose beliefs, whose religion, or whose doctrine is right. What is "right" anyway? Tell me a definition we can all agree on. We don't know. We are all searching for "right" in our own unique ways. And while I may have my own personal beliefs about what is "right" I know it's not my goal in life to make everyone else see the world as I do.

That's not my job.
My job is love.
My job is generosity.
My job is a listening ear.
An open heart.
My job is to pay attention.

The rest is just details.


Source




The Summer Day
by Mary Oliver

Who made the world?

Who made the swan, and the black bear?

Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?







0 comments: