Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Morning Street Sweeper

Every morning, Jeremy and I stumble out of bed and sit on the couch. We stare out the window--mostly in silence--just watching the day begin. It's better than staying in bed, where we inevitably fall back asleep. 

The window faces a road. 
And on this road there's a street sweeper.



He lives next door. And many mornings he can be found sweeping. 
The road. 
That cars drive on. 
As if it were his kitchen floor.



That guy.




I don't know his story, but if I could choose one, I'd choose this one:

His name is Dave.                                                
(Yes, I understand he is Korean and his name is definitely not Dave, but I really want it to be Dave and this is MY story)
He's an early bird.
Gave up sleeping twenty-five years ago when he had kids.
And heart burn.
And back pain.
And now it's 5am.
Every morning.
Steady.
And what's a guy to do at 5am, but get busy?
Busy cleaning.
Busy fixing.
Busy sweeping.

I think he started sweeping because his wife told him to get out of her way.
And he did so.
Gladly.

And it's a small thing.
But he likes to think it makes the working-girls in high-heels a little happier to know that their shiny, red shoes will still be shiny when they get to the office.
So it's worth it.


1 comments:

Rudy Swanson said...

You made a really cool story about that street sweeper in your place. I can say that people like him are very diligent. Imagine waking up early to sweep streets. Well, I admire people like him, and his job is really noble, because he helps on keeping the environment clean. :-)

Rudy Swanson @ Haaker