Wednesday, April 1, 2015

When He Says I'm Beautiful

He says, "You're beautiful" and I smile.

He says, "You're beautiful" and I look the other way.

He says, "You're beautiful" and I laugh.

He says, "You're beautiful" and I say, "Okay."

Or "Why?"

Or "Mm-hmm."

Or "Yeah, yeah."



And this isn't some creeper on the street that I'm avoiding in the most polite way possible.

This is my husband.

The man I married.
The man who knows me inside and out. 
The man who chooses to love me every day.
Because I promise you he doesn't feel like loving me every day.

He regularly tells me I'm beautiful.
And I regularly flounder around for a response.

Because, "Thank you" sounds stiff.
And "Of course!" sounds forced.

So, I just don't know what to say.




And in moments like these, 
I wonder how different 
a world it would be
If I just believed him.

0 comments: