Sunday, July 12, 2015

Reepicheep the Valiant

Recently, I've been reading through The Chronicles of Narnia (another series that I'm way late on reading). I just finished The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and loved a particular quote from Reepicheep--the talking mouse--and smallest member of Prince Caspian's ship, but arguably the bravest.



The ship and crew approach a blackness in the sky that everyone is afraid to enter.
The captain of the ship, Drinian speaks first:

"But what manner of use would it be plowing through that blackness?"

"Use?" replied Reepicheep, "Use, Captain? If by 'use' you mean filling our bellies or purses, I confess it will be no use at all. So far as I know we did not set sail to look for things useful but to seek honor and adventure. And here is as great an adventure as ever I heard of, and here, if we turn back, no little impeachment of all our honors."

Several of the sailors said things under their breath that sounded like, "Honor be blowed," but Caspian said, "Oh, bother you, Reepicheep. I almost wish we'd left you at home. All right! If you put it that way, I suppose we shall have to go on. Unless Lucy would rather not?"

Lucy felt that she would very much rather not, but what she said out loud was,  "I'm game."



Similarly, I wonder what "use" is marriage. It's not something we have to do in order to survive. We could procreate without it. The world would go on living even if two people didn't stand before witnesses and pledge their lives to each other. What use is it at all?

It's not food.
It's not money.
So, some may argue it's of no use at all.

Similar to struggle
or trial
or rainy days
or steep inclines
or heavy weights
or hurt feelings
or broken hearts,
marriage is part of this great adventure we call life.





And if we avoided everything hard or sharp or rocky, we wouldn't gain the honor of saying, "I did that." You weathered that storm. You overcame that obstacle. You compromised when you wanted to fight. You kept going when you wanted to give up. And there's something about marriage that binds you to each other when you want to walk away.

It may not add to your bank account, but it makes life worth living.

The struggle is kind of what life's all about. As Donald Miller says, "No one wants to watch a movie about a guy who wants a Volvo."

We want our stories to matter.
And the longer I'm married, the longer I learn and grow and struggle for something real.

And I can't think of anything more valiant.

0 comments: